Friday, February 27, 2009

Scattered

A few random thoughts...

Teachers should receive combat pay. 
Since we don't our place in heaven is assured.

Technology makes life easier, but when it doesn't work it's a pain in the butt.

Whoever thought sponges should wear square pants is a comic genius, but the sponge's laugh has got to go.


Recently I noticed  boys have very strange eating habits.
Little does not eat vegetables. Not a one, unless it comes in the form of ketchup or tomato sauce. He will however eat fruit, but only if it is apple sauce, apple slices or strawberries. It's a wonder he has grown past the 21" he was born with. 


Medium and Large on the other hand, love broccoli, turnip, carrots, corn, peas, and green beans. Go figure.


Medium at 15, drinks out of a glass, but still occasionally makes that sucking noise that three-year-olds do when they drink from their sippy cups.
Medium, Large and The Dad would rather eat standing at the kitchen counter than at the kitchen table. 
Large will eat a full dinner, then make himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and then a half hour later tell me "I'm hungry and there's no food in the house."
The boys in my class would rather crush their cheezits, gold fish, ritz bits, and teddy grahams into crumbs than eat them. 

Kids think the words "underwear" and
 "toilet" are wildly funny.

I thought I was in trouble the other day when Little asked me, "Mom, what is a period?"
Oh, no, here we go. It's time for the talk.
"What?" I asked, stalling for time.
"What's a period?"
"Oh! You know what that is, it's that little dot at the end of a sentence."
Nice recovery, go mom!
"No, not that kind of period."
Damn it. 
"Well what kind of period do you mean?"
"The kind you have in high school."
"Huh?"
" You know, first period, second period..."
"Oh! that kind of period!"
PHEW! We'll just save that talk for another day.

Having Little 6 1/2 years after Medium has presented itself with some challenges. Some things he learns from his big brothers are not always good or age appropriate.
For example, occasionally words will come out of his mouth that might be okay for a high school kid to say, but not so okay when they come out of the mouth of an 8 year-old.
Like "this sucks", or "what the hell", or "damn it!"
But today I heard this from the back seat just after pulling out of the McDonald's drive-thru...
"Oh man!"
"What's the matter ?"
"They gave  me a frickin' girl toy."
I couldn't help but laugh, but then had to give the obligatory speech about good words and not so good words.

All the good things his brothers do have to rub off on him eventually right? 



Maybe we should start with the vegetables.







2 comments:

Jen W said...

See, now I would have assumed that Little wanted to know about the *other* period. and I probably would have just jumped right into the explaination providing way too much information.

IamDerby said...

Carrie has asked me about 5 times how do you get pregnant. I have told her the truth all 5 times, I swear the kid has amnesia. At least I am prepared for when Cole finally asks