Monday, May 9, 2011

G is for Grow

I was pleasantly surprised today when I walked into my classroom! Sprouts EVERYWHERE!
It won't be long now and those little baby plants will find their way into our Kinder-garden raised beds.


Some of them began as a little experiment. The old, "Seed in a Baggie" experiment. This is a great way for kids to see the beginnings of plants.
All you need is a few quickly sprouting seeds, I chose green beans, a paper towel, some water and a zip-log bag.
I am always amazed how quickly these little things grow! Kind of like kindergarteners!
materials set out and ready to go.

1. Fold the paper towel.

2. Then soak it in some water. You want it wet, but not drippy.



3. Place the wet paper towel in the bottom of a zip-loc bag.
4. Place two seeds on top of the paper towel and seal the bag tightly.



5. Hang them in a sunny window and watch the magic!

Seeds after only 2 days! You can see a little root shooting downward.

After one week!


Transplanted today!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Today, I walked into my classroom and we had sprouts as well! Woo Hoo! The children were so happy. today we planted our grass seeds so we could grow some grass people! I love your blog!
Ashley
www.misssimpsonskindergarten.blogspot.com