Sunday, December 28, 2008

Better

It's time to put Christmas away. The ornaments are starting to fall off  as the branches droop and the tall, sparkly thing that makes the house smell fresh like a forest is becoming a fire hazard. The tree was planted to be just what he is a tall, fully adorned Christmas Tree. He has fulfilled his destiny and will eventually  become mulch in one of the cities flower beds. 
As I ponder the meaning of life of our friend "the tree" it's  that time of the year when it's time to take stock in the meaning of our own lives. The end of another year and the beginning of a new one. 
Time to start anew, start fresh, a clean slate, one foot in front of the other as we make our way through a new year. Resolutions anyone?
I'm not big on resolutions. Because inevitably they will be broken. Exercise? Lose Weight? Eat Healthier? I don't need a new year to know I need to do those things, but I am going to use the new year to try to be BETTER.
Better at what? Just about everything because to say I'm 100% good at anything would be a big fat lie. There is always room for improvement.
So to that end, here's my Better List:
  •  a better mom
  • a better wife
  • a better teacher
  • a better friend
  • a better daughter
  • a better sister
  • a better cook
  • a better financial manager
  • a better reader
  • a better driver
  • a better non-procrastinator
Phew! I could go on, but I think those are lofty enough goals for one year. I think it's important to strive to be the best person you can be, not easy, but I know, someday, when my branches start to droop and my ornaments begin to fall I want to know I was the best sparkly thing I could have been. 
Happy New Year.


No comments: