Saturday, December 6, 2008

You Better Watch Out!

Around this time of year I remind Little that "Santa is always watching." Since he's 8 I know his Santa days are numbered, so I cherish every minute of it. We bake the cookies, feed the reindeer, write the letters, and last year we even tried to catch him on video...but he was too smart for us and with a jingle and a very deep "Ho Ho Ho" he shut off the camera before leaving any evidence.
We were out an about today, and on the way home we were stopped at a red light. Stopped next to us in a Jeep Cherokee was "Santa" all decked out in full gear. Full snow-white beard, long white hair, furry red hat, if I didn't know better I'd swear he was "The Guy".
So excitedly I said, "Hey look! There's Santa!" 
Little glanced over just as "Santa" held his fingers to his lips and took a long drag from a cigarette. Sigh.
Not exactly the image I wanted ingrained in Little's brain.

"A stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth and the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath."

Apparently Santa has been a smoker for years, but times certainly have changed, and the pipe smoking Santa has become politically incorrect.
It's  just my feeling, that with "the suit" comes a little responsibility to behave and act in a certain way. 

Because Santa, you may be "always watching", but so are the kids.

1 comment:

IamDerby said...

LOL Lisa! I hate it when Santa behaves badly. Of course I always tell my kids that those are Santas helpers. The real santa is way to busy this time of year to be hangin in the mall or driving around town.