Monday, December 1, 2008

Jingle Bells




 I love a good Christmas tune. I have my favorites, some happy, some joyous, some that remind me of my childhood or some that you can just bop to. I remember playing my mom's Mitch Miller Christmas album over and over again. She probably still has that album hanging around somewhere!
 










But some local radio stations have taken Christmas tunes to the extreme. The oldies (now playing 70's music...ugh) started playing Christmas tunes right after Halloween...yep November freakin' 1st!  Jingle Bell Rock when the leaves are still orange and hanging on the trees...well, it's just not right!
Then WROR 105.7 followed just before Thanksgiving. All Christmas tunes all the time. 
I'm convinced it's a marketing tool to get us all to rush to the malls happily humming Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire. Seriously people have you ever known ANYONE who has actually roasted a chestnut other than Tiny Tim???








Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone I can deal with the Christmas songs. I even choose to listen to them once in awhile. But I can't help but think of those poor radio d.j's who have to listen to Silver Bells and Feliz Navidad, over and over and over again for two solid months!
As I mentioned, I do have my favorites,
Check out Josh Groban singing O Holy Night. It is haunting and gives me chills every time I hear it. The same for Feed the World. I also love this version of Little Drummer Boy by  Bing Crosby and David Bowie.
Tis the season...sing the Falalalala's loud and proud! Just don't do it before Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

Crazy Married Folks said...

Yeah they do tend to just skip over Thanksgiving.......even the stores do it.......and I LOVE Thanksgiving!!!

Jen W said...

Christmas is my absolute favorite time of year but I just think that you have to take one holiday at a time. So when they play Christmas music before Thanksgiving, it totally throws me off.

Unknown said...

Actually, Aunt Elodia used to roast chestnuts when I was small. We didn't have a fireplace but she used to roast them in the oven.
Hey, we used to pull taffy in the summer and we weren't anywhere near the salt water.

nana2mdnjp said...

I don't know where B came from but as you know it had to be me.