Thursday, July 24, 2008

P is for Pediatrician

Big and Medium had appointments this week for their annual physicals. I had to beg and plead for these appointments because both boys needed them to play soccer at the high school in the fall. Now normally, they both would have had their appointments by now, but I procrastinated in making them. It's usually not how I operate but I was in denial.
You see last September I got a very sad letter in the mail. Our beloved Pediatrician, was retiring. I immediately felt sick to my stomach. I loved this man. Not in a lusty love kind of way, but a love, I depend on you, you have a great bedside manner, my kids are not afraid of you, you remember to tell me how great my kids are kind of way. 
He first met our family when I delivered Big almost 17 years ago. Big had to spend some time in the Special Care Nursery because of some fluid in his lungs. We were scared first time parents and Dr. Mak was so instrumental in letting us know that our new little baby would be just fine. He was right of course. Dr. Mak always listened to me when I knew my kids were sick. He always took the time to give them their shots and not give up those duties to his nurse. 
When I was a new mom and brought Big in for his 2 week check up, scared and nervous, and leaking breast milk all over my blouse and he pretended not to notice. He gave me a squeeze around the shoulders and told me I was doing a good job. I will never forget that!
Last Halloween was his last day at work. Little was scheduled for his appointment that day at 5:00. Dr. Mak's very last appointment on his last day.  I know, because of that reason, he will always remember our family. He followed us out of the office, Gave my husband a handshake, and me a hug and told me how much he has enjoyed watching my boys grow up. He told me he was extremely proud of them and of us for being such good parents. 
  So, it was with reservations that I brought my two biggest boys to the doctor's office this week. We saw a very nice doctor who we've seen before, but it just wasn't the same. I hope he's enjoying his retirement because if anyone deserves it, it's Dr. Mak.

No comments: