Friday, August 1, 2008

A Alligators All Around

As I was perusing the local paper today I came across a story buried within it's pages. It was not front page news by any means, but the headline caught my eye. Louisiana Boy Hospitalized After Alligator Attack
The story was basically about an 11-year-old boy who lost his arm to an alligator. The doctors were unable to reattach the arm after retrieving it from the alligator's stomach.
A sad and tragic story to be sure. The boy will thankfully survive.
However, there was something in the article that made me laugh out loud. It was my WTF moment of the day. The alligator apparently has a name, "Big Joe" an 11-foot, 500 lb freakin' alligator!!!!
This is the quote that got me...
"It's an ideal pond to swim in, clean beautiful...but it's kind of a hike and there's no supervision there."  Hello!!!! A-L-L-I-G-A-T-O-R!!!!!! 11-year old boys, no supervision!!!
Does it take a freakin' genius to figure out that the ole gator infested swimmin' hole probably isn't a place for your kid to be cooling off with his buddies? 
I was puzzled...despite the fact the community knew there was a very large alligator living in that pond they allowed children to swim there? Am I missing something?
There is something so creepy about an alligator lurking just below the surface. Give me my ocean full of sharks any day!




4 comments:

IamDerby said...

Maybe its just like sharks in the ocean? I mean to me oh hell no, but to them? However I wouldnt let an eleven year old swim without supervision in a pool let alone an alligator pond.

eyes_only4him said...

give me a pool full of chlorine anyday..haha

Jon said...

Yeah, none of that adds up. Alligator has a name. Pond is safe. What?

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Wow, I did NOT know that. It's sickening, really. I hate gators. I don't even think God created them. I can't bring myself to.